Because our mission is broader than simply teaching young people how to play golf, The First Tee of EBRP also has a strong character development component – the Life Skills Experience. Life Skills is one of the unique features differentiating our organization from other successful junior golf programs.
Through Life Skills, young people inherit more than the ability to understand and enjoy the game of golf. Participants are taught important Life Skills that encourage improved self-image, positive attitude, problem solving, decision-making, integrity, and sportsmanship. Taught and reinforced through a variety of golf-related exercises, these life skills are designed to help young people apply values from the golf course to everyday life.
Through the Life Skills experience, as opportunities on the golf course expand, so do the opportunities for a participant’s future. Graduates of The First Tee are eligible for scholarships, awards and recognition for contributions made to their community through The First Tee programs.
At First Tee – East Baton Rouge Parish, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
Through our program, kids will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Fundamental golf skills and techniques
Advancing through the Program
At each age group, participants engage with the 5 Key Commitments: Pursuing Goals, Growing through Challenge, Collaborating with Others, Building Positive Self-Identity, and Using Good Judgement, while focusing on mastering golf fundamentals and building upon a golf skill foundation as they advance within the program.
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and characters commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course